View Single Post
Captain
Having browsed the shipyard on Tribble, I noticed a couple things. First, fleet retrofits have the same bridge officer layout and the regular retrofit. The only fleet ships with different layouts are fleet versions of tier 5 ships (which aren't retrofits). Second, Fleet ships have ten consoles.

There is an exception to this, something I am hoping is an oversight. I know nothing is final at the moment, but I hope this glaring error does not become final. The Science vessel Retrofit and Fleet Science Vessel Retrofit are a bit lacking compared to the rest of the new ships.

The Science Vessel Retrofit is basically an inferior Recon Science Vessel.

Science Vessel Retrofit
Bridge Officers:
Lieutenant Tactical
Ensign Tactical

Lieutenant Engineering
Commander Science
Lieutenant Commander Science

Consoles: 2 Eng, 3 Tac, 4 Sci
Base Hull: 24900
Shield Modifier: 1.01
base Crew: 100
Base Turn: 14

Reconnaissance Science Vessel
Bridge Officers:
Lieutenant Tactical
Ensign Tactical

Lieutenant Engineering
Commander Science
Lieutenant Commander Science

Base Hull: 27000
Shield Modifier: 1.3
Base Crew: 350
Base Turn: 13

They have the same bridge officer layout and the same console layout exactly, but the SV-R has less hull, a lower shield modifier and less crew, all of which add up to reduced survivability. The only thing the SV-R has over the RSV is an increased turn rate, the SV-R has one degree per second more turn rate. I would hardly cause that an equitable exchange especially when you consider you have to put in a fair amount of stuff into the fleet system to get fleet credits as well as to level your shipyard to tier 3 and get ships requisitioned where the Reconnaissance Science Vessel just cost's dilithium, or can even be chosen free if it's the first ship you pick when you reach Rear Admiral.

Fleet Science Vessel Retrofit
Bridge Officers:
Commander Tactical
Lieutenant Engineering
Commander Science
Lieutenant Science
Ensign Science

Base Hull: 27390
Shield Modifier: 1.11
Base Turn: 14

It seems like it might be a mite squishy, but actual testing is probably required to see how low the survivability is. The real problem is the console layout. The FSV-R only has 9 consoles. As mentioned before, every other fleet ship variant has ten consoles. There is one nice thing about the FSV-R: it has a LtC. Tactical bridge officer slot. This is something a lot of science vessel captains, including myself, have wanted for a while.

Given the discrepancies. I would recommend the Science vessel Retrofit be given the same bridge officer layout as the Fleet Science Vessel Retrofit to differentiate it from the Recon Science Vessel, and give us a reason to actually get one. The LtC tac Boff slot is something that has been wanted, so it would be nice to make it somewhat accessible, and without it, the SV-R doesn't really have anything going for it. The Fleet Science vessel Refit, needs another console; given the tactical bent the ship has, I recommend giving it a 4th tactical slot. I feel like both might need a slight HP buff, but that's hard to tell without trying them out.