View Single Post
Republic Veteran
# 18
07-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Geko: Sure, well I don't really have a good answer for you. I don't think we're planning on making a separate pet inventory bag, I mean that could be done, but... Star Trek has of all the games I've ever worked on, of all the games Cryptic has worked on, probably any MMO, the largest data footprint of any other game, because you have your character's paper doll, and your ship's paper doll, all your ships, all your bridge officers, it's a lot of items, not to mention your bank, your fleet bank... so that's why we charge for inventory space, because it's expensive on our side to manage all that data, run out of harddrive space, to be honest, so we have to keep buying harddrives that fill. So giving away 6 or 10 slots just to keep your pets in would be expensive for us, not just to implement, but also to maintain. But it's also more stuff people have on them, the slower it is to load every time because people have all this stuff on them that includes all of their pets and all of their ships and all of their bridge officers, and all of their inventory, you have to get all of that information, so it gets bigger and bigger, so it's a technological challenge.
Granted Starwars Galaxies has since closed down, but it wasn't too dissimilar to Cryptics shovelware randomly generated items, no doubt they had crazy databases for all the randomly crafted items of different qualities. No game or MMORPG have really matched SWG in that regard.