View Single Post
Career Officer
# 6
07-30-2012, 02:54 AM
I always figured a replicator was filled with molecular scans of dishes. One or several people on Earth (or wherever) cooked macaroni and cheese, a couple dozen or hundred times. Each time they scanned the final product, and then tested it. Not just for taste either. Whichever they deemed best, goes into the replicator library.

As such I never bought the 'bland' line. I find it unimaginable that technology that's almost capable of disassembling and putting back together complete lifeforms, would miss salt and seasonings. The problem, I think, would be that there's limited storage space. So you only have the one molecular scan per dish. If three people replicate macaroni and cheese, they each get the exact same plate, with the exact same number of macaroni pieces, piled up in exactly the same shapes and orientations, and tasting exactly the same. This means, if you eat the same replicated dish a bunch of time, it starts tasting too familiar. Impossibly familiar. Boring. To the point where some might prefer a badly home-burnt steak every once in a while, carcinogens and all, to that same perfectly prepared steak some local San Francisco chefs picked out of hundreds half a century ago, and got vetted by starfleet medical before being added to the menu.

So basically, the trick to replicators is to never eat the same thing twice. Or do the replicated components thing, as at least you'd do some things different during the preparation every time. Me, I'm lazy. I can live with familiar.
Reave

Last edited by hrisvalar; 07-30-2012 at 02:56 AM.