View Single Post
Banned
# 5
07-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroon View Post
There is a reason only the most outstanding (usually total conversion) modding projects actually come to any attention with companies.
Modding for a lot of games is rather easy, bugfixing is not. Especially if you need to take double precautions (QA).

Just because you scripted here or there, doesn't necessarily mean you're good at bugfixing or coding (already).
But if you like that stuff, maybe you consider studies in that field. After 5+ years at work, you might reconsider your statement from today
Coding is not that much fun as it sounds, once you have 40h+/week working schedule and "final dates".
Coding is more of a passion than a hobby of mine, I do it for a lot of different games and am a member of lots of different forums. Some bugs could be just due to bad syntax in a line of code. Everyone makes mistakes - even university graduate developers who are doing a job there paid to do. But at least with the STO community reviewing and building code it would mean that mistakes are less likely to happen. Well that's just my point of view.

And what you could do could be based on your skill level, from fixing typos in dialogue boxes to fixing major issues. Also a kind of points system could be implemented - the more points a user has the more reliable/better programmer/coder they are.

On a personal note I know coding can be quite boring but the joy comes at seeing the end results I have been coding and modding for many years.

Why do developers realeasing a game on PC always release it 'half-finished' anyway? You never get a game on PS3, Xbox or an console that requires a ridiculous amount of fixes and updates.

Last edited by pinkpower2012; 07-30-2012 at 09:22 AM.