View Single Post
Career Officer
# 7
08-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks again for your latest review of "Ghosts of War, Part I". I probably won't have you re-review my changes, but I thought I'd quickly respond to a couple of your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil70th View Post
2: Verena III - Space: This is a great map design with excellent explosive effects for the satellites. The story dialogue is excellent. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.
Funny you mention this - from time to time I still see the "delayed explosion" problem that you once mentioned in a previous review of this mission. It's not quite as bad as it used to be, but it still does happen sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil70th View Post
3: Verena III - Ground: This is a good map design with several tough but fun battles. The story dialogue is very well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
-If a player is playing this map with high detail they will still see "Alien" plant life spread across the map. I do not think there is much you can do about this except to go into the editor with high detail set and place rocks over the plants on the map. Beyond that I don?t think you can change it that much. I just wanted to make you aware of it.
-Consider adding respawn points further into the map, especially for the last battle.
Thanks for mentioning the high-detail issue, as, of course, the planet is meant to be completely lifeless. Unfortunately the plants are too big and too numerous for rocks to do much good for hiding them. So, instead I simply added a bit of dialogue (which also serves to foreshadow a discovery made by the away team later in the map) to explain the plants away:

Quote:
Indeed, Captain... my tricorder shows petrified remains of what appear to be indigenous trees and large animals in the surrounding dunes. Some of them are even emitting faint luminescence - likely either a latent biological process that has continued after the lifeforms died, or perhaps even a byproduct of decomposition.

Either way, this suggests that these particular lifeforms weren't affected by thalaron radiation in the same way that humanoids, or even most other life on this planet are. They may even have had some degree of natural resistance to it. Not enough to save them, obviously, but a very intriguing possibility nonetheless.

Last edited by paxfederatica; 08-15-2012 at 10:23 PM.