View Single Post
Starfleet Veteran
# 15
08-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
npcs have a flat and huge damage modifier because they only come with basically a fore and aft beam and torpedo. as apposed to player ships that can run up to 4 weapons each fore and aft. that flat modifier buffs that 1 or 2 beams the npcs have to act like 4 or 6 player beams, but that modifier is also applied to the torpedo too, so its like each torpedo hits like 3 or 4 player torpedoes. thats the flaw, players don't run 6 to 8 beams and 4 torpedoes at the same time, they run like a single torp, if ever. the torpedoes npcs fire should not get the same modifier the energy weapons do. but npcs basically nead a rebuild from the ground up anyway, that would just be a band aid. currently those torps are only really killer on elite, and their what makes elite a pain in the ass as apposed to hard. getting 1 shot by npcs using THY does not add to the challenge, it just makes it less fun.
I have never considered that before. But as someone whose Hegh'ta was nuked by a single 24,500k damage photon torpedo from Elite Donatra and watches single disruptor bolts hit with thousands of shield and hull damage when kiting her...it makes a disturbing amount of sense.

I am of the opinion that the system governing NPCs and their damage calc is no simple fix. Nothing seems to be a simple fix. Everything I have seen in Cryptic's reticence to overhaul aspects of their system makes me think the background code is as needlessly complicated as a Rube Goldberg machine. Figuring out how to retool this might be like unraveling a ball of fishing wire. Q knows when some, if any, sort of retooling might come to pass.

But if this really is the case, then there's something to blame the damage on at least.

The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"

Last edited by nikkyvix; 08-27-2012 at 11:19 PM.