View Single Post
Lieutenant
# 30
09-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariseabove View Post
Your forgetting about the character Whoopie Goldberg (don't know don't care if thats the correct spelling for he name) played in the next gen, Her entire race was wiped out by the Borg with a history and all.
Where exactly the El-Aurian homeworld is located is unknown, just that it's 'several thousand lightyears' away from Federation space. Many El-Aurians travelled, as Guinan was on Earth in 1893, those that were at their home system were all assimilated or killed. Most, if not all of what Guinan knew of the Borg is what she would have heard from others, and at least some of it was wrong by the time the Federation met the Borg. After all, she thought that if the Federation was ready, they might have been able to establish a relationship with the Borg. The Borg still obviously wasn't a subject she was eager to talk about, given that she never once mentioned them to Picard until the events of Q Who.

Quote:
The problem I have with a Borg episode in Archers time is the tech level between then and when Q re-introduced the Federation to the Borg, they would have had borg tech to fight them with. You can't tell me Starfleet would have just left the borg stuff and never poked at it as that just does not fit into Starfleets profile.
Starfleet probably did poke at it. But the records were sealed, and only a few would have known about it. There's also only so much that you can learn from wreckage.

When one of the latest aircraft gets shot down or crashes, the owning government typically sends another ground attack fighter or a bomber to destroy the wreckage to prevent anyone else from learning very much from it, and it's pretty effective. Now that's humans trying to study the wreckage of human technology destroyed with a bomb, and that's extremely difficult. In the case of the destroyed partially assimilated ship, we're talking about humans trying to study the destroyed wreckage of 24th century alien technology from numerous distinct sources destroyed by far more powerful weapons, not to mention the antimatter containment failure. How much exactly do you think will be left to study?

Borg vessels are further designed so that when the ship is cricitally damaged, all vital technology self-destructs. At the end of Best of Both Worlds, the Borg cube self-destructs above Earth after it gets shut down, leaving very little, if anything for the Federation to study. Even after just trying to disable a Borg Probe, the salavagable wreckage from it only littered the floor of a single cargo bay on Voyager. Part of the sphere surviving relatively well like that would likely be extremely rare, and be simply because part of that self-destruct process failed. If the Enterprise-E even suspected that it might of survived, then they would have retrieved the wreckage themselves to both prevent contamination of the timeline, and because it would be a rare opportunity to study relatively intact Borg technology.

Quote:
You can say their separate realities to justify the mess but its not the case, the last Star Trek movie is supposed to be about to how Kirk became Captain of the Enterprise not some alternate reality and it can't be an alternate reality anyway cause you have the Spok we know as well as the new one so it has directly got to do with temporal time travel.
Because Spock can't go to another dimension? Jumping dimensions isn't anything new for Star Trek, just they're normally mirror universes, while the JJverse is a little different. But then, the method of reaching it was rather different as well. The interaction between the nova and the red matter singularity allowed them to shift through dimensions and time. It's not the first time the pair of those have occurred either. The mirror universe Tholians in 2063 stole the USS Defiant from the prime universe in 2268 after all.

Incidentally, time travel is always going to be at least of the temporal variety. I'm not sure how you'd get non-temporal time travel.

Quote:
If you have ever seen the original pilot episode of the original Star Trek with Captain Pike you would see how hypercritical the whole Star Trek story line has become and there is another Episode with Kirk returning Pike to the planet it all started with but the new movie completely wrecked that whole story.
I think between what Meurik has said and what I've added on here, I think it about covers it. Everything says that the JJverse is an alternate universe, not a retelling of the prime universe events. I haven't seen a thing that even indicates that it's set in the prime universe.