View Single Post
Career Officer
Okay, final update.

Warranty expired on the unit (so, decided it was fine to crack the case for further testing & a fix). Started blue screening. One in particular was a big hint. I think it was basically a blue screen saying MEMORY_MGMT or something like that. Whatever it was I looked it up and came across some article relating to memory issues.

So, I decided to re-run some old memory tests and a new one.

Basically, run Passmark's Burn-in-Test. They let you use the regular or pro version as a 30 day trial. Also run Prime95's system stress test.

Whereas prior test didn't come back with anything, this time around Burn in Test errored out all over the place and Prime95's stress test "stopped -- Memory errors" almost immediately after starting on all processes.

So, I completely overhauled the memory for $80 worth of 4x4Gb (16Gb total) PC3-10600 Corsair memory, totally replacing the 8Gb that shipped with the machine. It was still running slow and having some issues (probably due to corrupted automatic updates, etc.), so I ended up nuking it back to spec (reinstall from built-in recovery partition).

The slowness and instability post-memory upgrade went away and there have been no further texture decompression issues.

So, basically, I'm 99.99% sure this error is an indicator of faulty memory modules corrupting downloads. Don't ask me why the verification routines don't catch the corrupted downloads and re-download the corrupted bits and pieces until it finally gets a verifiably 'good' copy. But there it is... Replaced memory. Issue resolved. Period. Fix has been in place for a month or so now with zero recurrence.

So, if you're having these texture decompression errors it PROBABLY means you have faulty memory modules.

It wasn't apparent at first, but it seems to have gotten worse over time to the point it became painfully obvious. Original memory tests didn't catch it (or maybe I misread them?).

So, yeah. Definitely have your RAM tested and replace as necessary. Don't know whether this might also happen if you overclock your memory, etc.? If it causes some kind of instability?

Can't say for sure that other network connectivity issues couldn't result in corruption of the .HOGG files, but I can pretty much say that *in my friend's case* it was 100% the fault of the memory, from all signs.

Last edited by mgmirkin426; 09-07-2012 at 01:03 PM.