View Single Post
Career Officer
# 8
09-12-2012, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywest21 View Post
My problem I'm having is that STO crashes at random. Sometimes it'll go for a long time without crashing, and other times it'll just keep crashing over and over again. I never know when it's going to crash.

For the past few days (since Sunday, 9 Sep), I've been completely unable to log in at all. I click on STO, it tries to boot up, and then nothing; just a blank black screen (where the mouse cursor turns into an X) with a blank white rectangular area in the upper left corner of the screen where the log-in fields are supposed to be (where you enter your username & password). Since I'm unable to go any further than that, I just press "Esc" and that usually shuts it down. If that doesn't work and it's completely unresponsive to any controls, I have to shut my Mac down completely and re-start it.

I'm using a 2008 24" iMac running 10.8.1 Mountain Lion, with a 2.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and 4 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It's an older iMac, but it still works fine and can play STO with Wineskin (when it's not crashing). But now I can't even get into STO at all.

Do you know if Cryptic might have made any recent changes to STO that may have caused it to break compatibility with Wineskin? Or is there a newer build of Wineskin that I need to download in order for it to work again? Any help you could provide I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance...
occasionally (pretty rare) files in STO get corrupt... happens on Windows or Mac. You might need to do a STO reinstall, or try a fresh new copy of the wrapper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havam View Post
fully support the new sticky, how is the new build comparing to the last version?
its using a test version of Wineskin 2.5.7 which has some bug fixes over the previous version, making things a bit more stable. Most of my time went into making a new version of WineskinX11 built in, which fixes many issues... which in STO, so far has helped going in and out of fullscreen not freezing the graphics up nearly as often on many machines, and allowing it to work without having to use Override->Fullscreen setting in Wineskin, so things just work auto and you can set all the resolution stuff in game, and the launcher window is really a window and not fullscreen yet... And its easier now to just hit Cmd+Enter to toggle fullscreen instead of Cmd+Opt+A.