Thread: Galaxy joke
View Single Post
Captain
# 27
09-15-2012, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
I agree. If any ship in Starfleet is meant to be "versatile" it is the Galaxy.

The issue with this ship shows once again how fundamentally wrong the basic principles of STO are. Originally, universal BO slots were a thing for the KDF. Why? Klingons are highly specialized. Starfleet is the universal force with more emphasis on peacekeeping, exploration and science. And so should the Galaxy. Give the R at least a universal ENS to work with, make the seperation console a built-in ability (WHY is this a console anyway? The only other ship you can put it in is the T4 variant, right? Each and every ship below T5 is obsolete anyways...) and everything is fine.
I am puzzeling myself about this since start of STO.
The klingons have ships more versatile than starfleet? Have the devs ever watched a show AFTER the TOS movies?

I mean every bridge station on a starfleet ship (late 24th century) was programmable (LCARS), so they could be configurated to serve as any other station. This means translated to STO that Starfleet ships should have practically all universal BOFF slots.
I am not demanding this of course, but starfleet ships should be much more versatile in this matter.
For me this is just another sign that the devs do not really care about Star Trek, they just realize their agenda of how "their" sci fi game has to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
It's bad enpugh that DPS is everything which defines a ship's usefullness in this game, but this will absolutely never change since it is the limited game mechanic the engine seems to offer. But at least show some respect for the most iconic ship in the fleet which probably got this game the majority of players, at least back in the day this game somehow still resembled Star Trek.
I'm absolutely on your side.

This ship is more than just a ship, it is the most iconic vessel in Star Trek (at least for some of us).
Why do the devs insist to make it a useless brick without firepower? (even if some of them apparently deeply hate it, i don't know why and i don't really care.)

I mean that ship was built to operate far away from any reinforcements, it needs to be able to strike back in case of a battle. It's Phaser array where the most powerful ever built in Starfleet history, and i am sure that they have been updated over the years, so they still must deal massive damage.
The Galaxy Class in STO is far from this. It is just a unmaneuverable, boring, un-versatile ship with virtually no noticeable firepower.
I can already hear the devs say, "but we have given you the saucer seperation...)
Adding the Saucer seperation doesn't help very much, because that ship still has way to little firepower. What is it good for zipping around your enemy without (still) doing no noticeable damage?
I mean you can't even use it as a torpedo boat because the tac BOFF slots are a joke.

Sorry i shouldn't overexcite
so much about this, they won't change anything anyway.

Live long and prosper.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
-> -> -> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- <- <-

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by yreodred; 09-15-2012 at 04:29 AM.