View Single Post
Ensign
# 3 Professor Bonthalas Stranded
09-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Captain's Log, Stardate 83752.26

The U.S.S. Triton is on a scientific mission to discover the Felczer Nebula. However, I feel it's not logical to send our vessel to map a nebula, this work is more fitting for a deep science vessel, as our vessel is equipped with tactical equipment than sensors and labs for this kind of job. I've decided to leave the ship in the capable hands of my second-in-command, Two of Eight. As a scientist he is more than capable to do this job, but I would like to analize how much 'humanity' he regained since we rescued him from the collective. I've instructed the rest of my commanding officers to take command if a critical situation arises.

I have turned my attention to a nearby system which has an M-class planet in it. It's still uncharted because there is an asteroid belt around the planet which is known to stop ships and leave them stranded. Not much is known of this phenomenon, but some scientist theorize it's not a netural creation, more like an ancient planetary defense mechanism. My engineers modified the U.S.S. Budapest's deflector and installed a minor hull polarization system as I requested. Commander Saziv and Commander Yls and a pair junior officers going to accompany me on this misson.

Captain's Log, supplemental

We have arrived safely to planet Orellius Beta 2H38, or as the scientist named it 'the place of no return'. There is indeed a strange energy in the belt, a tractor field like phenomena surrounds some of the asteroids. Several Federation science vessels were lost near this planet, sadly we couldn't found any of this. According to my calculations the force of the tractor field is so great it could break any ship to pieces, especially if the ship is in the zone of more than one field. Thanks to the shuttle's modifications, we were able to pass the area without diffculty and we are heading for the planet. We will analyze our findings after we returned to the Triton.

The Budapest safely landed on the planet surface and we started to scan the planet. Our surrounding is mostly desert, but not like Vulcan more like Earth's Savannah areas, there is more flora and fauna here. We already registered a few houndred new species and we take a few samples with us, but the shuttle's space is limited. We've also found ruined cities in the vicinity and visited a few. We made thorough scan of the surface and we couldn't find any trace of intelligent life. Cause of extinction unknown. We theorize judging by the state of the ruins that the extinction occured somewhere from five hundred to two thousand years ago. However, the technology found here are match the current technology level of Starfleet, some are even surpass it. Fascinating. We will soon finish categorize our findings and pack up camp and heading back to the ship.

Upon exit of the atmosphere, the shuttle conn station blown up, critically injuring Ensign Darda. I was able to stabilize his condition, but he needs the facilities of the Triton to make a full recovery. Commander Yls will look after her untill we arrive. We also lost most of our power, we got barely enough power to maintain orbit. We've made a thorough scan of the shuttle and found out that the destruction of the conn station cannot cause the power loss. We've also found the shuttle doors warning system has been completly crippled. There is only one logical conclusion. Sabotage.

I have questioned everyone aboard the shuttle but I knew from the start it's unnecessary. Everyone of them are trusterd Starfleet personnel and served with me for years. There is no point in question their loyalty. We haven't got enough information who the saboteur was. Maybe there WAS somebody on the planet surface. We must find out how do we get back to the ship. That's our top priority.

While me and Commander Saziv were discussing our options I heard some noises from outside the ship. Scanners shows nothing, so it's not a ship. Someone or something is outside. 74,3% chance it's a someone. Quite interesting. We did brought EV suits with ourselves in case we have to free the shuttle from the asteriods grasp. But none of them is missing. So the saboteur must have his own suit, but why take the trouble to bring one with himself? My theory is his suit must be a unique one with special capabilities. Also must have means to attach himself to the shuttle. I must think and talk this through with the crew and gather information from the shuttle's computer.

Captain's Log supplemental

I'm sure that our visitor's EV suit is cloaked, there is no other explonation how he could have done this operation without detection. According to our databanks the Tal Shiar were experimenting with personal cloak but as far as we know, they have failed. Maybe they were successful with the bigger power supply of the EV suit? Terrifying idea. Also according to database, there were never been incidents like this or similar in the recent past, so my theory is that we are facing a prototype equipment here. As for the attachment, a simple magnetic clamp and boots would do the job, which is used by any mechanic doing exterior repair work. This leads me to the conclusion that the saboteur entered to the Triton while our visit on Starbase 39 during a diplomatic mission - which wasn't a usual mission profile for the ship also. There is 97.2% chance the Romulans are hunting me for our involvment in the Reman-Romulan civil war.

Commander Saziv found the cause of power loss. There is a transmitter inside the power core, which keeps the power level at minimum. My conclusion was right. This operation couldn't have been done while we were on the planet's surface. He or she must have been on the ship since we left Starbase 39. The infiltrator is also a skilled engineer. We are searching for the frequency that disables the transmitter.

We've found the frequency, but there is an other problem. The shuttle is gone to proximity alert showing mines in very close to the vessel. The saboteur must be attaching and activating mines on the exterior. So he is not just on any mission, he is on a suicide mission. If we disable the transmitter now he can activate the mines and blow up the shuttle. He also knew we couldn't communicate with the Triton because of the Nebula's interference. Clever. Also he had to do it before we reach the asteroids, or our first action would have been to leave the shuttle and find him/her on the process. The saboteur mustn't be skilled in personal combat. We must find a solution fast. We theorize the timer of the mines set to 4 minutes or less. Judging by the size of the mines we can't escape the blast radius in time on impulse power.

We agreed on our plan. We will use the shuttle's computer to activate a series of timed events we've calculated. We have made modifications to the hull polarization device so it will detach the magnetic locks of both the saboteur and the mines. We hope that the surprise effect will give us the few seconds we need. The shuttle is already locked to full impulse power to keep us from falling to the planet. After 4 seconds the computer disengages the hull polarization and the asteroids tractor effect will speed us even further. After an additional 6 seconds we should reach the middle of the asteroid belt where the tractor effect become negative for us. That's when the computer engage the polrization again to be able to pass the belt, but we don't want to give the blast radius any chance.
Coordinates of the Triton's theoretical position already locked in and will automaticly engage after we left the belt, set to 3 seconds. 80% power rerouted to engines, 20% set to auxiliary for the polarization. We don't have much time. Activating the computer sequence in 10...

Captain's Log Stardate 83755.49

Our plan worked perfectly. We have arrived to the Felczer Nebula and the saboteur is dead, blow up by his own devices. We have the Triton on the viewscreen, and we are heading for the shuttle bay. We have completed an important scientific discovery, and found a clear evidence that the ship is being watched and wanted dead by an unknown enemy. Ensign Darda will make a full recovery in a few days.