View Single Post
Captain
# 125
09-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxi5 View Post
Alcubierre Drive

Something we're now coming to realize may be more feasible than previously thought.

Technology, yes. There's no doubt that the iPad/communicator/tricorder have helped shaped modern technology.

I'm talking more about the actual 'science' behind stuff. 'ZOMG REVERSE THE POLARITY OF THE MAGNETON FIELD BY INITIATING A THETA RADIATION BURST, AND THEN USE AN INVERSE TACHYON PULSE TO MODULATE THE PHOTON NUTATION!'
By in large it was presented as logical deduction of if we use Future Tech A w/Future Tech B under Conditions X Then result Z occurs, or Oops we didn't know Future Tech C was around, we have observed the results and analyzed the information now have to use Future Tech C etc.

Yes, it's a fiction show w/poetic license and all, and having as long a run as it did w/many different writers and even outliving the shows creator there's not as much consistancy as there could have been. But, the methodology is shown fairly consistantly.

""Today's science fiction is often tomorrow's science fact. The physics that underlies Star Trek is surely worth investigating. To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit."

? from the foreword by Stephen Hawking"

Quote found:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_...s_of_Star_Trek

So to update, I've provided quotes from one of the most influencial and prolific Sci-Fi writers and one of the most famous Theoretical Physicists of the 20th Century refering to Star Trek as Science Fiction. I've provided over 1/2 dozen link to various technologies developed or under development or w/theories exploring the development of techonologies used in the IP. One of them even includes a link to Telsa's wiki to show he worked on Ionized weapons (you know like charged particle burst ...) in the 1st half of the 20th century.

At this point this is about leading a horse to water and not being able to force it to drink.