View Single Post
Captain
# 19
09-21-2012, 06:10 AM
No, it's not. I will say that the original purpose of Starfleet, especially in STO, is more and more blurry portrayed the further the universe progressed and I blame the rising militarism the real world and audience experienced for that (military became "cool" at some point, don't ask me when or why that happened. And that is by no means intended to be disrespectful, mind you.)

Roddenberry made it very clear that he never intended Starfleet to be a military. It is a paramilitary force, tasked with the dfense of the Federation but it is by it's very definition no military. This is stated several times on-screen and behind-the-scenes, for example SF is always under civilian control. It is more a police-force rather than a standing army. The uniform design btw. always paid a tribute to this, the Wrath of Khan movie uniform spawned a rough debate behind the scenes to a point where even actors were offended by the military looks of it.
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh