View Single Post
Republic Veteran
# 95
09-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
That's another complaint I would like to bring up. STO's art direction is incredibly inconsistent. The ships and characters look really realistic, but the plants, environments and building interiors look so comical.
I would argue against the characters looking realistic. They look nice at first.. but things quickly deteriorate. There are only two "age 20-40" facial textures for females for example, and as a result, almost every woman looks the same. No amount of tweaking the scalers will prevent that, it all comes down to skin color and hair choice.

Speaking of hair, STO has probably the worst hair I have EVER seen in an MMO (relative to the year it was released and the technology being employed). The hair is AWFUL. There are very, VERY few selections that are even passable as something I would ever wear IRL, and the ones that do look flat and plastic. This game needs to throw all its hair out and start from scratch. It's a freakin' travesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I mean, you go to Hathon, and once you get past the annoying mission there, I realised it is a very beautiful place. It has nice textures, it's colourful, but not too much, it has nice lighting, but you go to Star Fleet Academy and I half expect bug-eyed anime characters to start popping out of the trees.
Even in the series, the Academy is a very bright and cheery looking place, with a vibrance bordering on eye-bleeding. I think the only thing that looks bad is the water... speaking of which..

Cryptic engine water is easily the worst water I have seen in a modern game. It looks COMPLETELY unreal. The water is TERRIBLE. It's like this thick, gelatinous mass that slowly moves around with a mind of its own. I see the water out in the bay and I'm like, why can't the rest of the game's water look like that? The stuff in the ponds may as well be the Great Link.

Last edited by commanderkassy; 09-23-2012 at 03:41 PM.