View Single Post
Starfleet Veteran
# 1 The double standards of science
09-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Hey there.

I'm a big fan of science in Star Trek. Science and, to a lesser extent, engineering, were the tools that the Federation used to peacefully solve tasks. If things got out of hand, yes, tactical got involved, but science and engineering were always there, giving the Feds an edge. Mind over muscle, if you will.

Because of that, my first toon was a science officer. I enjoyed playing him, but I found that science ships and abilities didn't really shine. Tactical ships pounded their foes to a pulp with great effect. Engineering ships weakened and outlasted their foes to almost annoying lengths. Science ships... annoyed their foes. I feel that I'm not the only one who feels this way as I've read many posts about how people feel that science has been nerfed to nerfdom.

Why, then, is PWE starting to push science based ships? The Tholian Orb Weaver, the Tholian Recluse Carrier and now the new temporal science ships alongside the mirror science ships. (Some may argue that the Recluse isn't really science as it has a universal Cmdr boff slot, but it has subsystem targeting and two of its assigned boff slots are science compared to the single tac and engineering boff slots. Smells like science to me.)

I am dearly looking forward to the Wells class. I have been for a long time, and I know I'm not the only one. PWE, can you please start to strengthen the overly weak science abilities so the Wells class can be as fearsome as ships like the Jem'Hadar attack ship? Make science something to be respected instead of merely tolerated. Make the Wells class really worth having.