View Single Post
Commander
I'd like everyone's opinions considering these three ships for TANKING. PVE doesn't matter. I'm looking for a ship that will really help me survive in PVP. I'm not talking about getting the best DPS in a cruiser, I'll leave that to the AC or Regent. But for strait up TANKING in PVP, which do you think is the best?

First off, let me say I am grinding for ECs to purchase Fleet Ship modules, so "real dollars" are not really an issue for me.
Second, I am already buying the Assault Cruiser Refit (Regent), so I'll have access to the 180 degree quantum torp launcher. In other words, while I DO like to feel like I'm not flying a whale, I realize I'll be able to fire torps from broadside, so if a slower turn rate will give me a better ship overall, that's ok.

Odyssey Star Cruiser
I already own this ship, got it at the two year event it's been in mothballs for a while now, but thinking about recommissioning it as a designated PVP ship.
Since I'm talking about tanking, I'll put an Engineer in the Universal Lt Commander slot.
This makes Boff layout exactly the same as Fleet Star Cruiser.
42,000 hull.
It has greater crew (2500), possibly helping with hull regeneration?
Slightly slower turn rate, and boy can I tell...VERY SLOW.
Only 9 Consoles: 2 Tac, 4 Eng, 3 Sci

Fleet Star Cruiser
Same Boff layout as the Odyssey Star Cruiser
42,900 hull, so slightly better, but I realize this will not really make a difference in gameplay.
Less crew at 1000, but I wonder if that will really be a big negative?
Better turn rate. It's only better by one, but in game, (I've got the Assault Cruiser) that turn rate is NOTICABLY better.
10 consoles of course: 2 Tac, 4 Eng, 4 Sci. The 4 sci could come in handy for shield tanking purposes
I'm thinking seriously about this one (even though it's so similar to the Odyssey) because of the faster turn rate and extra console. But is it worth it?

Fleet Exploration Cruiser Retrofit
Ensign Engineer Boff slot instead of the Ensign Sci on the others. This perhaps would give me better hull tanking?
44,000 hull. The strongest of the three, but again, 1000-2000 extra HP might not make that much difference.
1000 crew, so the same as the Fleet Star Cruiser.
Lower turn rate again, same as the Oddy. Very slow.
10 consoles: 2 Tac, 5 Eng, 3 Sci. Perhaps a good thing to add another hull plating?

I realize these ships are all so similar that I could probably do well with any of them. But if you guys have some opinions here, knowing the goal is TANKING, I'd love to hear them. If you have experience with any of these and have found them to be awesome at tanking, let me know.
Thanks!

Last edited by djf021; 09-26-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Wanted to add links