View Single Post
Career Officer
# 6
09-26-2012, 06:59 PM
First a Physics Lesson. The Alcubierre Drive required *Negative* Mass. Alcubierre took Einstein's Field equations, which were formulated to see how a given, known, realistic configuration of energy warps space, and decided to run them in reverse. He took a very convenient warping of space (one which would give FTL like effects) and ran Einstein's Field Equations in reverse. And the Answer was negative. There's no reason to believe negative mass is capable of existing just because you got it as an answer from math (which only approximates the universe) that you used in a way it wasn't intended to be used.

Now that I've hopefully convinced you that physics of the situation are most likely not real, and that there's no reason for you to think they could be, onto this supposed NASA employee.

I've glanced over the paper and it reads like a thought experiment. A "if we had this stuff/whatever that had these properties, We *could* do this" situation. Notice the euphemism exotic matter is used. Why do I say euphemism? Because exotic matter has a specific meaning: it refers to stuff which has properties you want, but probably doesn't exist and won't ever exist. Unobtainium and Handwaveium are pop culture euphemisms for the same thing.

Oh, one more note about the physics of it: If there existed a chunk of negative mass or energy, it would immediately begin cancelling with all the positive energy flux incident upon into nothingness. That is, even if you found a way to create some, it would immediately begin evaporating into absolute nothing.

Sorry; Not all avenues of tweaking math that approximates the universe under certain circumstances mean what you get is real. Alcubierre's paper (which actually was written to *disprove* warp drive) is like saying a real system has a real property that has an i (the imaginary number) component.