STO under Wine/Linux/Mac
View Single Post
Join Date: Jul 2012
10-03-2012, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by
Want to tweak your post a little to assist all the other people with install problems since your post covers all the tweaks which were great..
First the system I am running:
NVIDIA 9600GT with latest driver supported
Wine 1.2 (Latest supported)
Do these steps in this order from here on in. These steps worked flawlessly every time.
STO will work straight up under Linux for just about any Distro provided you can do the following:
- Install latest Wine (above or better later)
- Install Winetricks
From here I will walk you through the setup that is error free install and run:
Before intalling STO:
- install corefonts via winetricks
- install d3dx9 via winetricks (Do NOT install DirectX itself)
- install ie7 via winetricks
- Now put your CD or copy to HD then run under wine.
- Follow the prompts and install as normal.
On completion do the following:
- Open wine configuration
- On the graphic card screen, do NOT select virtual desktop.
- select the first checkbox for the mouse and leave the rest as default.
On the Audio tab:
- Select Alsa (default unless your audio either works with another or works better with another)
- click apply/ok to close.
Now run the game, a white popup window will appear which is the ie7. Close it. login, run your updates which will take for freakin ever, and then play. Adjust sound and video in-game to what you like.
NOTE: When you alt-tab or anything that removes focus from the game, it will make the game appear as though it froze or locked up. This should not be the case. Look at the top left of your gamescreen and you should see a little 1" x 1" square. If you click that, it refocuses onto the game.
This was tested on Gentoo, Ubuntu and Fedora. Please respond to let me know if this does or does not work on any other systems.
I just installed Kubuntu 12.04 and wine and this did not work! IE never showed but Konq web broswer did. I was told to enable cookies but their was no menue to do that.
I guess I will have to boot into winblow$ to play STO.