View Single Post
Super Moderator
# 5
10-09-2012, 12:15 PM
The game itself is very combat-oriented and unfortunately doesn't easily lend itself to non-combat missions. Some authors have clearly been able to transcend that and I recognize the skill and creativity involved there.

I will say that zero combat missions are not easy to do in a way that holds a player's interest. Too much dialog is boring. Any dialog that doesn't advance the story somehow is probably best cut out or made optional. Puzzles help, but they're even harder to pull off in a way that doesn't frustrate players.

I wish we had a way to hook into the Commendation system to provide non-combat rewards, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I also wish we could present branching mission objectives and component triggers based on things like race, career, rank, gender, etc. It would be a lot easier to make really interactive stories that felt more like "Trek".
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek