View Single Post
Career Officer
# 43
10-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
I don't get why you have such sentimental attachment to this point.

Did you want to leave? If so, you could have left... and come back... or done whatever you wanted to do.

If you were here, you got nanopulse weapons, the Next Generation title, ship trophies, fire extinguishers, etc.

All the lifetime was about was the option to come back. It was never an investment in the game. Heck, I don't know if Cryptic ever saw a dime from Lifetime sales even though they have to budget for them now.
It was a $300 gamble - pure and simple. What existed wasn't deserving of that kind of money (and arguably, what exists now still isn't). The difference being that back then we didn't know if we'd still be playing the game in six months time or not - much less whether we'd get any neat perks (besides the Liberated Borg Captain) for the money.

Now LTS's have it pretty simple: Is the package of goodies worth $300 to me? You know exactly what you're going to get and you get it immediately - no risk, no waiting.

Back then, Cryptics life-blood was the box-sales and the subscriptions and yes - the LTS. The only stuff in the C-Store was the (promised) cosmetic, micro-transaction stuff - no $25 ships (in fact, no ships in the C-Store at all). LTS sales dumped a big chunk of cash Cryptics way early on in the life of this game that they'd have otherwise ha to wait around 20 months to accrue.

Maybe you see it as stupidity. Maybe you see it as just being cavalier with money. I prefer to see it as having faith in a developer and paying up front as a sign of that faith. It's pretty obvious though that to Cryptic I'm just another sucker with more money than sense.