View Single Post
Captain
# 565
10-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent1 View Post
I really wish Cryptic still ran STO, I would hope they wouldn't want to chance losing all those lifetime members that have been here the whole time from the beginning. It is such a slap in the face to those of us that have been here since Beta testing in some cases. I agree with letting new lifetime subscribers get credit for time played, but letting some new guy that has never been in the game get the full 1000 day bonus is just for buying a lifetime subscription is just ... sigh ... what's the point? It is only about making money from new players, who cares about those that have invested so much time.
If an "old" player is no longer putting money into the game they become a liability vs an asset. If they can suck new money out of a newer player - they then become an asset - until they stop putting money into the game and become a liability.

Unlike a game company that makes a game then its only cost is producing the DVD/box/paper and some support, Cryptic has mostly on-going costs of development which requires constant flows of money. To keep the game going you have to keep paying for ever - or at least a good number of people do. The free-to-play model is just an fantasy, in reality it has to be pay to play - just disguised as other things.