View Single Post
Career Officer
# 35
10-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomeight View Post
The need suits to exist in areas that we don't need suits.

From memory alpha
"Tholian biology required high temperatures around 480 Kelvin (207 ?C, 404 ?F). They could tolerate lower temperatures for a brief period of time; if they were exposed to temperatures around 380 Kelvin or less, their carapace would crack. This was painful or distressing; a Tholian subjected to such a temperature regime could be coerced to cooperate. In temperatures even lower, a Tholian would freeze solid and shatter."

btw my reaction to the pic of the Tholian EV suit: "haha what!?!? That is outrageous!" which is an excellent reaction. Can't wait!
Also from memory alpha:

" t's been noted that in every confirmed Tholian sighting that the mysterious species were encased in an outer carapace similar to those seen on Terran insects but with the exception of it being made completely of crystal which was similar to quartz. However, whether this crystal carapace was a natural product of Tholian biology or a sophisticated exoskeletal suit is unknown."

Which doesn't exactly back me up completely. I thought it was established in trek that their crystalline outer shell was there version of an eva suit. I remember it from somewhere.
I just don't see tholians using the same tech as the feds or any other species when they are so different. Something with a more alien look would have been a lot better. They just look like an insect version of Robocop kitted out like that.
The Artist formerly known as Paddoxx