View Single Post
Lieutenant
# 85 As an aside!!
10-16-2012, 10:34 PM
just as a quick aside from the hard numbers, I have to say that Transphasic Torpedoes are one of the biggest disappointments and technical gaffes in STO when compared to Star Trek canon. The devs must not have watched the last episode of Voyager before designing & programming Transphasic torps.
The future Kathryn Janeway brought Tranphasics back in the final Voyager episode(along with ablative hull armor) to give the present day Voyager a massive advantage against the Borg. And a massive advantage it was as one Transphasic torpedo dispatched an entire Borg Cube. The idea was not that Transphasic torps would have an increased "bleedthrough" effect; but that they actually phased out of the space time continuum during flight, thus allowing them to easily pass through the enemy ships shields and hull - they would then rephase into the continuum inside the enemy ship near a vital area(i.e. power core, antimatter storage, vinculum, etc...) and explode, thus obliterating the enemy from the inside outward.
When I got my 1st Transphasic torp as a reward in the Breen mission, boy I couldn't wait to install that puppy and start the one-shot destruction cavalcade. Boy was I disappointed... maybe they should rename these as the partially Transphasic torpedo or maybe Transphasic torpedo Jr., Quasi-tran torps, less than lethal Transphasic torps??

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled thread...