View Single Post
Captain
# 12
10-18-2012, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dassemsto View Post
Problem is, these skills were almost useless before the resists came. (exception: a team spamming CPB)

Even if the resists were removed completely, these skills would have a hard time finding proper use, because of the increased shield capacity healing going on. (Borg-set+BFI doffs)

Back in the days before the borg set, i used to have a Tachyon-RSV that could win 1v1 against anyone. It used 2xTachy3 and CPB3, and only projectile weapons. Doing this, I avoided any healing from RSP, and over a few minutes, the shield drain would overcome the shield heals of the opponent. Only once or twice did I meet a proper tank build and had a stalemate. This build was maxed to the absolute limit. I think this was pretty perfect balance, as the ultimate heal build was just barely able to keep up with a ultimate drain build. Today, it would take a lot to come back up to this level.
Ya I flew a shield strip build before it was cool as well... to be honest it was Over powered. Yes it required a full spec... but to be honest I would decloak my bop... and boom people would explode... or be left so close to dead that the fight was over.

I honesty agree with Cryptic that Sci skills SHOULD be resistable, Not just counterable... now it could be argued that the amount of resist is to high... I simply think it is to easy to protect oneself across the board...

In my perfect version of a STO skill tree I would like to see people forced to make real choices... so that one min maxed sci built could be negated but not while properly defending against another. Right now as I have said it is so easy to have 50+ points in all the sci resist branches that most people do just that....

Having said that perhaps CPB and Tachyon do need a 10-20% bump... and more and I feer they would simply become Overpowered once more if the skill tree is ever updated.

On the borg + maco thing.... well shortly you won't be able to combo borg Shield heals with Maco shields anymore.... That is the best news I have heard for balance in a long time really. I mean if CPB does become a skill with less resistance again... if people run borg shields they will be stripped fairly easily.