Featured Ship: Multi-Vector Advanced Escort
View Single Post
Join Date: Jun 2012
10-23-2012, 05:04 PM
A general response to some of those who have raised issues:
- C-Store ships are the only way a lot of people are going to get the ships they want. Simple fact of the matter is that the vast majority of us are never getting any of the really high-tier starbase ships no matter how many ECs we scrimp up and how much we'd pay to the megafleets that manage to trudge out a T5 base.
- The AI, in my opinion, is fairly decent for the separation mode. At the very least it's better than the Flying Coffin (Aquarius) that comes with my Odyssey, and the Chevron that rarely fares much better in sep mode. However, I have heard it said that the real strength of the separated flight mode is that you get to choose a certain reconfiguration of the ship on the fly (e.g. more agility or more firepower), with the pets mostly a bonus. IMO that's a bit incorrect, but those people presumably have used the ship more than I have.
- Having a C-Store ship is NOT a prerequisite of having a fleet ship, although it does mean it costs 4 Fleet Ship Modules ($20) instead of 1 ($5).
- I am pretty certain that just about every separation pet in the game is incapable of equipping the mother ship's weapons, if the saucers on the Gal-R and Odyssey are any indication.
- That said, the BEST role of the MVAE is probably as a science escort (as was previously mentioned). The ship's bent is towards science, so if you like science ships or are a science captain, but want an escort, this is probably the ship for you.
All of this said? I hardly ever use my MVAE. When I want to take out an escort (I rarely do, but sometimes do on my Tac), I almost always reach for my old, faithful Defiant-R, which is slightly faster and has better firepower thanks to the Lt. Cmdr tac slot. It's a little bit frailer, but IMO that's pretty well made up for by the better firepower and maneuverability. And I've got to admit, even though it's not the most effective cloak around, but it's still got a cloak. While the MVAE is a good ship, I simply prefer the Def-R.
I would recommend the MVAE if you want a somewhat tougher escort (at the expensive of maneuverability), a science escort, a pet addict, want to be able to change configuration in battle, or your basic T5 escort of choice is the Advanced Escort and you want something a bit different. As a side note, you can equip the separation console on your regular Advanced Escort, in case you prefer that ship's configuration, but want to use separation mode.