Thread: The Excelsior
View Single Post
Captain
# 10
10-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
Wanna try my engineer on in 1 on 1 PvP in their T3 Excel...
DON'T DO IT!!! You guys will be shooting at each other for 20 minutes and nobody will win (speaking from personal experience).

If you want my response to the topic, skip the next paragraph.

Anyways, back on topic. I personally rather dislike the excelsior design. In completely honesty I dislike the design of most federation ships. I mean, seriously? A SAUCER??? I don't see ANY reason for that particular design. At all. To speak of. And having the nacelles out on pylons? Something that critical sticking out on those little spindly things (even on your vaunted galaxy those things were skinny as hell)?? It's like saying: Here's our primary power matrix unit, just shoot a few times and blow it off. Cuz you schelak the nacelles of a ship, suddenly their engines are crippled. In one fell swoop. Fed ships functionally speaking, terrible designs. Except for the Defiant. THAT little ship was excellently designed. Small, compact, no unnecessary crap on it. Actually now that I think about it, it's probably the only federation design that doesn't make me cringe when I think about functionality (course this is the same mind that cringes when he sees anything that doesn't have it's main command center buried deep inside the center of the ship behind layers of armor and decks... probably why covenant cruisers from halo are my fave design as functionality goes).

That little rant aside, the excelsior in game is a nice little ship. Yes. Little. But it performs well and can hold it's own with ships of the same class multiple tiers above it (again speaking from personal experience). If they make a fleet version though, I fear you will not see any cruisers out there other than Fleet Excelsiors and Odysseys (and Galors just cuz they are that awesome). That aside, I would support the idea of a fleet excel. Even the two existing excels are excellent ships. =P
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!