View Single Post
Career Officer
# 23
10-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
Personally I hope so. This is not the Romulans I know or desire. Everything about the Romulans surrounds their marshal history.

"By the 24th century, the government of Romulus is dependent upon the Tal Shiar, the Romulan Secret Police, to maintain order and stability among both civilians and the military. The Tal Shiar is known for its brutal tactics, which include routine kidnapping, torture, and assassination. Many Romulans fear even expressing dissenting opinions as not to spark the interest of the Tal Shiar. There also seems to be some degree of tension between the military and the Tal Shiar.

Romulan society is based upon a highly structured caste system. Unlike most of the highly evolved species in the Alpha and Beta quadrants, Romulans still practice slavery, and frequently use conquered races for forced slave labor and shock troops.

Romulans tend to be highly xenophobic, engaging in extended periods of isolationism, and can be perceived as outright racist to other species, believing themselves to be superior. At least some Romulans believe that one day the Romulan Empire will rule the entire galaxy.

Romulan society does not appear to be gender biased. Both males and females command warships, can obtain high political positions and can be members of the Tal Shiar."

I'm sorry, but somewhere down the line Cryptic have super-imposed the Cardassian Depata Council post-Dominion storyline over that of the Romulan.

They could have come up with something a little more original that "Please feed me."

If anything, one of the following would have fitted into the storyline:

A Romulan-Cardassian alliance would be more plausible, given that they aided one another during the Battle of the Omarion Nebula, and given that the Cardassian True Way are themselves trying to return Cardassia to militaristic rule.

The Klingon Empire cannot abide weakness. They would have launched at full scale attack against the Romulans when they were at their weakness not sent diplomats!

The Romulans efforts to subjugate the Reman's would have intensified. This makes the Remans appear on equal footing to the Romulans. They are not, and their own planet was also destroyed making them even weaker.

The Federation I could see living-up to the humanitarian effort.

This was a HUGE PvP opportunity, that Cryptic has failed to capture on. HUGE.
Did you miss one of the earlier Dev Blog posts? The Tal'Shiar is still out there. The rest of the Romulan Empire is descending into chaos and civil war as each faction tries to claim the now empty throne of the Empress. These romulans are but a small portion trying to break away from the rest and do something new. They've reached out to the Remans, yes, but that is probably equal parts pragmatism (there's a chance the Remans would go after them as "soft" targets) as it is out of genuine desire to reconcile with them.

On the subject of the Klingons sending diplomats though? Yeah, that's not J'mpok's style, but a lot of the lore we see seems to suggest that J'mpok is beginning to lose support amongst the great houses and this might be something done out of political necessity rather than any real desire to be diplomatic on his part. He's rash, hot-headed, and probably an Undine in disguise, but he's not stupid.