View Single Post
Commander
# 5
10-31-2012, 08:59 AM
"...So, Captain, I will leave you to your preparations, and look forward to seeing you at Corvus IV."
"Very well, Admiral. The Nightingale will be there. Jinx out." Jinx finishes her conversation with Admiral D'Vak of Omega Force, and at the press of a button the screen goes dark. "Great, this is all we need." She reaches up and taps her combadge.

"All senior staff report to the ready room in one hour. Mat, I'd like to see you now please."

A few minutes later, Jinx's First Officer steps into the room.

"Mat, we have a problem. An Omega scout vessel has detected what is believed to be a Unimatrix. And D'Vak wants us to lead the spearhead to take it out."

From Mat's helmet there is the strange warbling sound made by all Breen when they talk.

"We don't know what other ships we'll have. All we have is a rendezvous location and instructions to go there and take command in five days. I'm hoping we'll have a list of ships at our disposal before we get there."

More warbling from Mat.

"Stealth attack? Perhaps that might work. Sneak in and board it, disable it from the inside. That has potential, but if it is going to work, we'll need help. First, I reckon that the Borg sensors can penetrate cloaks if we get too close - ours is fairly old after all, and we will have to get close to board it. And next, this is a warship. We don't have the knowledge to be able to disable a Unimatrix ship from the inside." Jinx sighed. "Unless... I have an idea. Mat, return to the bridge, and I will see you with the others in the ready room in 45 minutes."

Mat warbles a little more, then turns and walks out. Sitting at her desk, Jinx keys a few commands into the terminal. After a few minutes, a Klingon face appears in front of her. He looks shocked for a moment to see a Federation Admiral looking at him, then recovers enough to start insulting Jinx.

"PetaQ! Federation scum! What do you want?"

Not phased in the slightest, Jinx leans forward and says "Your head on a plate, Qa'Hom, but for now I'll settle with talking to Phantom." The klingon looks taken aback that this Federation officer knows the name of his Captain, and therefore might have more influence than he thought when he first saw her. Jinx looks a little irritated that the klingon hasn't moved yet. "Well? MOVE!" She yells down the comms.

After a few more minutes of waiting, a new face appears on the screen. Like Jinx, she is Trill, spots running down the side of her face and neck. As she sees Jinx, a smile breaks out on her face.
"Jinx, good to see you my friend. How are you?"
"Wonderful, joyous, thrilled." Phantom bursts out laughing at Jinx's sarcastic tones.
"So I'm guessing this isn't a social call then?"
"I'm afraid not. You'll probably hear about this sooner or later, since you're an Omega too." At this Phantom perks up, now paying close attention to what Jinx is saying. "D'Vak just contacted me. One of our scouts found a Unimatrix, and he wants me and the Nightingale to go in and take it out. I just wondered if you fancied coming along?"
"A Borg Unimatrix, eh?" Phantom sits back in her seat, now looking very interested. "Is it a simple kill mission, or do we get to poke around?" Jinx smiles, knowing full well that her friend would be on the lookout for more parts to continue modifying her carrier, the Warlord.
"Final choice is mine, but the amount of firepower we'd need to make sure we took it down in a space battle is... ludicrous. So, I'm thinking a small stealth strike team beaming in and taking it out from the inside."
"I'm in." Jinx felt kind of guilty for using her friend's love of new and unusual technology to drag her into this, but as had been mentioned, both Captains were Omega Force, and may well have ended up working together on this. This way, Phantom was in from the early planning, and Jinx knew she was reliable and a certified genius when it came to mechanics and electronics.
"Great. The rendezvous is at Corvus IV in 5 days. We should be there in 4. See you there, and I'll look forward to hearing your ideas about how to destroy this thing."
"See you there, Phantom out." She says with a smile before turning off her comms.

Little over half an hour later, Jinx and her command staff are sitting around a table in the recently emptied mess hall, or the 'ready room' as Jinx jokingly called it. When she has explained the situation to her officers, Jinx looks around, asking for everyone's thoughts. Her latest addition to her crew, a Borg she liberated from the collective and named Two, looks up, about to speak, then stops and turns to look at her other Borg crew member, One. After a moment, One speaks up.
"Captain, if this is a Unimatrix, we must face the possibility that it is not just a ship. As Two pointed out to me, the Borg Queen has been replicating her body numerous times in recent years. It is possible that any team entering the Unimatrix might face the Borg Queen herself."
"Thank you One. Two, if you have something to say, say it. No need to go to One first." Jinx says with a smile at her newest Borg crew member. Two just nods and says "Yes Captain."
There is a warbling from Mat, closely followed by a harsh laugh and a few grunts from Trosk. Trosk is an unusual officer for any Federation starship to have, being Gorn, and technically a member of the KDF. Mat warbles something in reply, which sets Trosk off laughing even harder. Jinx shakes her head slightly, but then admits Trosk has a point. Ensuring everyone had backup melee weapons could go a long way towards defeating the Borg. They didn't adapt to having parts chopped off.
"Alright then," Jinx says, standing up. "We will leave this there for now. Return to your duties, and we will meet again once we have a better idea of what we ae doing. If anyone has any other ideas, just let me know." She watches as her senior staff wander off back to their duties.

Three days later, the Nightingale drops out of warp. Hanging in the background is a giant blue star, four planets orbiting it. There is fairly heavy space traffic around the fourth planet in the Corvus system which becomes clearer as the Nightingale draws closer. From the sensors officer on the bridge, Jinx hears a string of names, both Starfleet and KDF, as the ships of her task force are identified. One of the names pulls her up short.

"The Omega is here?" She asks.
"Yes Captain. Putting her onscreen now."

The viewscreen zooms in on one of the ships, a reconditioned Jupiter-class dreadnought, marked with almost no Starfleet insignias, but instead sporting the Omega Force logo.

"Hail her."
"Aye Captain."
"This is Vice Admiral Jinx of the U.S.S. Nightingale, hailing the Omega. Admiral D'Vak, we are reporting for duty." A few seconds later, D'Vak appears on the Nightingale's viewscreen."
"Captain. You made good time. Your taskforce is nearly assembled apart from a few stragglers who should be here before you are ready to leave. Unfortunately, we couldn't get you many ships designed to hold the Borg's attention, so you have the Omega here as front line support. Unfortunately, I will not be here. My duties require me on Deep Space Nine, and I will be leaving in the morning. I expect my ship back without a scratch Admiral. Understood?"
"Yes, Sir." Jinx has to refrain from smiling. She knows D'Vak is extremely fond of that flagship of his. "Admiral, I hope you don't mind, but I've also brought in someone myself. Phantom, LG in the KDF and equal rank to me in Omega Force. I felt her expertise could be beneficial."
"That's fine Jinx. Now, get your crew settled and we'll speak again soon."

The following morning, after Jinx had had a chance to be introduced to the rest of the Captains under her command, her sensors operator reports a heavily modified Kar'Fi Carrier has entered the system and is heading towards the Nightingale. Jinx thanks the officer, checks her chrono, and smiles. Phantom must have been tweaking the engines again. They made excellent time getting here.

Within an hour, Jinx is holding a briefing of the Captains on board the Omega. D'Vak has already left for DS9, leaving Jinx in charge.
"Good morning Captains. I am Admiral Jinx, and will be commanding this mission. This is Phantom, my second-in-command." Each Captain here was part of Omega Force, so the thought of receiving orders from a KDF officer wasn't as unusual to them as it would have been for any other member of Starfleet. Pressing a button on the console in front of her, Jinx brings up the scout's sensor data. "Our objective is this Borg vessel, believed to be a Unimatrix. Priority is disabling the vessel so we can get at it's secrets, but failing that, we destroy it. We understand that it will be difficult to get past it's defences, even if we don't take into account the other Borg vessels protecting it, so, what we plan to do is send a small team to infiltrate the vessel and see about shutting it down from the inside. The fleet will engage the Borg vessels protecting the Unimatrix and draw them away, allowing us to slip a single ship through, under a cloak, to infiltrate the Unimatrix. I will lead the Nightingale for that part of the assignment. Phantom will lead the fleet attack from her carrier, the Warlord. Now, I believe you had some further insights, correct Phantom?"
"Thank you Admiral, I do. First of all, I believe we can make some adjustments to the Nightingale's cloak to make it less likely to be spotted by the Borg. I'll talk to you about that later though." Phantom looks around at the rest of the room. "Ok, could all Captains who have Borg crew members please step to the left of the room, and all those without please step to the right." Most of the Captains ended up on the left of the room. Omega Force had been working against the Borg for months now, and there had been quite a few liberated from the Collective.
"Ok, I count 5 Captains with no Borg on board their ship. Would any of our other captains have multiple Borg on board their ships, and be willing to 'loan' a crewman to one of these fine Captains?" It was fairly quickly arranged so each ship had at least one Borg on board. Jinx gives Phantom a rather puzzled look. Phantom just winks back. "Excellent. Now ladies and gentlemen, what our next step is is to create the Omega Collective. This will be a neural link between our Borg to prevent the Borg Queen if she is present from trying to exert control over our Borg, and also to give us an instantaneous communication system that does not rely on our normal communications systems. Somehow I doubt the Borg would cut themselves off from the collective to shut ours down. We will get this underway after this briefing. And finally..." Phantom holds up a tiny computer chip, then turns and hands it to Jinx. "This is a fractal virus I put together on my way here. Installing it into the Unimatrix should disrupt the Queen's control over the Collective. Our Omega Collective can then try to override these newly severed Borg. This will give us a massive advantage both in space, and on board the Unimatrix. Jinx?"
"Thank you Phantom. Once the virus has taken effect, our strike team will try to verify the existance of the Borg Queen, and if there is one present, take her down. Following success of the mission, scientists and engineers from Omega Force will decommission the Unimatrix and take it away for further study. Our attack will take place in 3 days. Until then, you will be provided with training scenarios and you will be tested. The best people tested will be part of the strike team. Dismissed."

Last edited by bortjinx; 10-31-2012 at 09:53 AM.