View Single Post
Rihannsu
# 268
11-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmerless View Post
You're living on massively borrowed surpluses. It's basically comparable to peak oil, only with reserves instead of production rates; you don't see how bad the deficit is because you're at the top of the bell curve.

To put it more simply, the DOffs (yes, even the common whites) that exist on the market today are only there because of the immensely hard, grindy work a few people are putting in and the Zen being poured into the engine to try and meet ~Tier IV+ starbase demands. As more people start reaching Tier IV, demand will exceed the last of the supply and the production wells will close (no more free Academy packs).

To see evidence of this, there are DOffs of a particular type and rarity (I won't name them to prevent a bank run) that are absolutely integral to SB development, and they're just straight-up running out. Every day they become more absurdly pricey, people have to stuff more and more of them away in the Mail, and the clock ticks closer to complete exhaustion.
there's a giant gaping flaw in your logic.... I don't buy doffs more than once a month or so. All I do to get them is academy recruitment. Most on the exchange are idiotically priced as is. The main change in cost is the compactor, which yeah, now you have to pay to compact and uncompact over and over. Uncompactor is still free to use if you really need more commons.

And yes, I am a student of peak oil theory. More people should learn about it. But the analogy is inapplicable as it's merely a small change in cost not the drastic changes that you'll get when the major oil deposits are tapped out. That would cause oil production prices to rise a lot more than the season 7 vendor prices will. Secondary market prices.... good luck figuring those. but yeah, SBs have caused the availability of certain doffs to tank totally. The other flaw is that oil is used for fuel. While doffs have been compared to fuel, they aren't directly comparable. You don't need a steady supply to keep your starbase running, only to improve it.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 11-01-2012 at 08:01 AM.