Thread: The Orb Weaver
View Single Post
Captain
# 5
11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Why would I want to use this ship? What does it have to offer me over other ships? What makes it better/worse than comparable craft (science that is)?
Flexibility. It's tempting to look at the Orb Weaver and say "That's a science ship". It isn't. It's something that has 6 weapon slots, like most science ships, and it has Sensor Analysis, like most science ships, but the pesky LTC universal slot is what trips you up. If you slap a tactical officer in there, you've got a very balanced "can do some of everything" ship. If you slap an engineer in there, you've got a remarkably tough little pocket cruiser. If you slap a science guy in there, you've got a ship with 8 slots for science and a LTC engineer to keep it in one piece which I think might actually be unique? It's not super agile, it's not terribly well armed. But the Orb Weaver is "agile enough", and it's "armed enough". It has a very powerful boff layout combined with balanced consoles and nice strong shields. It's got a nice foundation of traits to build from and it can be retooled on the fly to have different strengths. Simply put the Orb Weaver is best for people that can see a mission, see what their team looks like, and then choose what they need to be in order to be the best asset for the team.f

The Recluse carrier should also be mentioned since its boff layout is almost the same. The Recluse is even more modular since on that it's the Commander that's universal, and it has two hangar bays so you can add pets for extra damage or tanking or whatever you need. But the Recluse, while tough, is big and sluggish and really has a hard time being anything other than a strong point. The Orb Weaver doesn't have the hangars or universal commander but it can actually move around and do things like be a torpedo boat or spam photonic shockwaves and tractor repulsors.