View Single Post
Ensign
# 11
11-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Each of my captains' ships have names specific for thier origins:

Adm. Malcolm Daniels' ship, the Rodger Young, is named for the WW2 Medal of Honor recipient who gave his life while advancing on a enemy machine gun nest that had ambushed his squad. Pvt. Young, although wounded, advanced on the enemies position and once within range, threw several grenades at the nest before being killed. His actions saved the lives of his fellow soldiers, as well as killing several enemy combatants. For his selfless act of valor, Pvt. Rodger Wilton Young was posthumously awarded the US Military's highest decoration, the Medal of Honor.

There's also a song written about him, detailing his heroic actions; "The Ballad of Rodger Young". My current ship, a [i]Sovereign-class[i] assault cruiser, and the sixth ship to carry to carry the name, bears a line from the song on it's dedication plaque, located on the bridge.

"...in every soldier's heart in all the Infantry
Shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young."

My other captains' ship names are indicative of their individual origins:

Jenari D'ian, an Orion female, and cousin of the Orion Syndicate's leader, Melani D'ian, commands a Klingon ship named the Jade Princess, after her connection to Orion "royality".

D'elon, my Romulan (actually the alien species) Starfleet science officer's ships all take their names from Roman Emperors. Her first ship was the Augustus, and her current ship is named the Tiberius. I'm gonna see how far I can go in ship names with her.

My last captain is actually a homage to the great sci-fi movie Galaxy Quest. My captain's name is, of course Peter Quincey Taggart and his ship is named the Protector. I'm thinking about recruiting bridge officers and renaming and making them look like the other cast members from the movie. haha