View Single Post
Career Officer
# 21
11-13-2012, 03:10 AM
It's a very good read.
I like it.

I'd like to add that there would have probably been an after-action anlysis of the conflict with the Gorn.
And I assume some Klingons would have probably realized there and then that they would have fared better with their own EW-ships against the Gorn Fleet Support ships.
While I think it's likely that the counterargument "they won nontheless" would have been seen valid by some, my guess is work on an EW-heavy ship would have been started before conflict with the Federation, at least unoficially.
Those who saw the conflict with the Gorn as a foreshadowing of things to come would probaly have wanted something in their back-pocket when the time came.
Of course a fleet-wide deployment would still take time.

After reading through the Haynes Owners' Workshop Manual on the Bird of Prey, I'd like to add a few bits and pieces about that ship and why I think it wouldn't make too much sense to use a BoP.
There is a chapter on a BoP's sensors and it appears that the BoP's long-range sensors are basically:
Identify a ship and indicate where it's heading.
Anything beyond that is handled by shortrange sensors.

There is appearently a way to convert the BoP into a scout vessel, however it means ripping out the torpedo launcher and putting long-range sensors in its place.
However that does not affect any other of the ship's systems, for example the BoP is never used for missions that last longer than about a month.
Even though the ship itself is capable of them, the supplies of fresh food aboard don't last beyond that.
And appearently the KDF has never felt the need to test whether the reclamation system that could be used to supply the crew with non-fresh food is up to the job...or whether the crew would go nuts from eating reclamated food.

There is also an intersting bit on the role of a science in the Klingon fleet, that would apply to STO just as much:

Science Station:
"The science station provides a constant stream of information from the ship's sensors, with a particular emphasis on the condition of any nearby vessels which Klingons always consider to pose a threat.
During battle, the science officer has the primary responsibility for monitoring the condition of enemy vessels, including the nature on an enemy's weapons and the condition of their engines.
The science officer provides recommendations to the captain and tactical officer. this data is automatically shared with the tactical station, but is accessed at a lower menu level. [whatever that means] The dedicated computers also provide analysis of stellar phenomena that may pose a threat to the ship, for the long- and short-range probes and the ship's transporter systems."

Science Officer:
"It is a misconception that Klingons have no interest in science; it's simply that they are most interested in the kind of science that can be used on combat.
The sciecen officer is a vital member of the command crew and is responsible for interpreting all the sensor data that the ship collects.
This is vital when dealing with unfamiliar stellar phenomena that could pose a threat to the ship or render the cloaking device ineffective.
Before teleporting [I have no idea why they use that term here] to a planet of landing on the surface, the science officer will assess the safety of the atmosphere and make recommendations about the best possible landing site.
In combat, he or she will advise on the condition of enemy vessels and collects as much data as possible on their performance, which is then shared with the weapons and engineering officers in order to devise effective tactics"