Funny Business in the Dilithium Exchange
View Single Post
Join Date: Jun 2012
11-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by
They're increasing the net amount of dilithium you can get per character in a couple of hours and clearly marking where to get it in S7.
Nowhere in the patchnotes does it say that. There's more sources of dilithium, yes, but the rate at which you gain from those sources is lower than before, and there's no mention of a refining cap increase, so I'm unsure what you think you're saying. When you're talking about a timebased currency, and that term's their own invention, having to spend more time to get the same amount of currency constitutes a nerf, no matter how often you do the big-eyed-lip-quiver routine and stutter "But there's other ways to get it now!".
Originally Posted by
The long-run direction the dilithium economy hinges in S7 depends on three things (everything else is fairly short-run):
1) Do heavy economic participants lose out by not having frontloaded dilithium on lots of alts?
2) Do players bother with Foundry with a mission length requirement and pursue Fleet Actions? Do they bother with ESTFs?
3) Is having purple DOffs worth paying an upgrinding fee?
A bit early, maybe, but consider it a prediction, cause I'd be amazed if the outcome were any different:
1) Yes. Anyone who had and continues to have a vested interested in collecting a great deal of dilithium is going to take a loss if they *gasp* take a loss. It might not make a big dent for the ones who convert it to Zen, as with scarcer dilithium the exchange rate for Zen is likely to drop a long way toward normalizing their Zen income, but those who need the dilithium and only the dilithium, either cause they're in a big rush to gear out characters or they're building a small fleet/solo fleet starbase, are going to feel the strain.
Mind you, if you're just talking about the clickies... Their removal's excusable, understandable. It's not just the clickies though. It's not just the clickies and B'Tran. It's everything. I'll be interested to see if the PvP and PvE dailies still award 1440, or they'll have been nerfed too, or not longer exist at all.
2) No or Not Enough With Issues. I don't think the mystery box is going to be of much interest to people who weren't inclined to play the spotlights already anyway, if the contents are as projected. There'll be a very small increase there. Same for the Fleet Actions. I always rather liked the (space) fleet actions, so I'm getting a little extra incentive to want to do them, but people who don't like them probably aren't going to be doing them that much more often. Though the difference there will be bigger, cause a little bit of garanteed dilithium beats what's in the mystery box every day. Problem there, though... garanteed dilithium. Idlers. And a lot of them. It's a lot safer to idle in a relatively anonymous environment like a fleet action or a warzone (see these a lot) than it is in a 5-man grouped instance, so we may need a lower tier of rewards for those, that affords no dilithium. Of course, that means, once the idlers catch on, and stay away, some unlucky science officers in science vessels who came in last will feel they got screwed.
3) No. Even if dilithium had been made easier to get, it wouldn't be. Not with them being as they are. If they'd just adjust the upgrinder to let you pick the exact profession, or
at the very least
the department of the better-quality duty officer that's supposed to come from this, 5000 dilithium might've been worth a purple. You'd still have less choice and control than than you would picking up a 12,000 dilithium doff from Ferra, but at least you'd know you're not getting a bartender or refugee. As is, that slot machine's too expensive for me and, if what I hear ingame is any indication, almost everyone else.
Last edited by hrisvalar; 11-13-2012 at