I Play STO for the Friends
View Single Post
Join Date: Jun 2012
11-13-2012, 09:29 PM
I am one of @wmcarson's friends and fleetmates. I agree with everything he said and everything @dreamspider said. In fact, I am one of those college student gamers who only has a few hours I can put in a day, if that. I am terribly afraid of what is going to happen to this game and how I will be able to keep playing it with as much fun as I have had in the past. I really enjoyed running STFs with the fleet, and I can tell a huge difference in the team and friend dynamic between those STFs and the Fleet Actions.
Further, having shared many an Elite STF run with some awesome fleetmates, I can say that I am sorely disappointed in Cryptic's changes to dilithium and STF rewards. I always felt that the dilithium and other STF rewards were a great way to reward teams and players that worked well with other players. But with the latest actions taken to drop dilithium from STFs, I feel that Cryptic is trying to punish fleets, friends, and social gamers. Removing dilithium from the STFs makes 0 sense by DStahl's and other dev's own rationales:
1. Players aren't maxing out their daily dilithium conversion... so we're going to remove ways to get dilithum to refine.
2. The Mk XII MACO/OMEGA/HG sets are there to reward players who invest the time and energy to play STFs... so we're going to make it nearly impossible to get them by just running STFs (high dil costs and you need the BNPs for them too so you can't convert the BNPs to dil).
3. We want to make it accessible to all players, even ones who don't play at the elite level... so we're going to take them out of Normal and Elite STFs and punish elite players. (Also contradicts the idea of having the Mk XII sets be rewards for players who don't play elite level).
4. Dilithium is supposed to equate to a time investment in the game... so we're going to remove it as a reward from some of the most time intensive activities (STFs) and beef them up on the 1 minute fleet actions. (Also no dil on Romulan or Omega missions, yet that is where they want us to invest our new time).
5. Reputation costs have been designed around a casual player playing 3-5 hours a week... so we're going to make anything above T5 cost 20 hours a week!
Elite STFs are supposed to be a challenge and a huge investment of time. No dilithium makes it totally not worth it to play them. That is where a lot of team fun is had. You are creating disincentives to run them. Finally, devs had said time and time again that you would have dil in STFs, and they were in STFs on Tribble. Now dilithium is not in STFs, meaning you lied to the player base consistently and repeatedly.
Finally, the time issue. If I can only get on an hour or two a day, how will I be able to have fun with my fleet? How will I ever get reputation or dilithium? I will have to pick between grinding Omega Marks, grinding Romulan marks, or grinding dilithium. I would never be able to do them all, and meanwhile, my fleet loses out, because I either can't contribute to the starbase, or I can't get the stuff I want on my character.
I hope the STO development team takes these issues seriously and takes to heart the outrage and sense of betrayal that has been aired on the forum and not simply take the good comments from the dev-alt player accounts as "constructive criticism" and proof of success and all the negative responses as "unfounded personal attacks." I want to keep playing this game and having a great time with my fleet and friends, but as things are currently going, it's looking more and more like a hopeless goal.
"That hurts worse than the uniform." - Dr. McCoy on the Vulcan salute
"On Vulcan, the teddy bears are alive. And they have six-inch fangs." - Spock on sehlats