View Single Post
Lieutenant
# 30
11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastahl View Post
I completely agree with this and it is one of the primary reasons why we are reversing our decision about Dilithium. Players should be having fun with Season 7 - it is awesome - not worrying about Dilithium.

Thank you (and everyone else) for speaking up about this. It means a lot to us.
I don't want to harsh you mellow, but the problem really is deeper than just a few missions and their payouts. It's your whole design document for dilithium. If I didn't know better it's a copypasta from another type of game for a different kind of audience. But that's besides the point, it's ultimately a type of social engineering that rarely succeeds, even more so in a game that has been limping along for 2+ years. You've got a playerbase that is used to the game being a certain way, that meshed well with their busy adult lifestyle. Thinking that people have to grind for 4 hours a day in a certain way before they can think of having fun is a complete failure in game design and doesn't serve your customers well. STO is a good game, but it's not good enough to enforce a grueling grind on players. Season 6 was rough for my small fleet, but we took it as a challenge. Your changes to Season 7 saw my fleet disband.

Things you should do to fix things:

Don't be so anal about how/when/where people get dilithium. Instead of removing, you should be adding sources. The 8k cap for refining should be all you ever need.

Your metrics only tell you part of the story of what your customers are doing. Half of all MMO players are over 30. How many of your players are over 30 and have busy lives?

There is a useless quest on the player starbase that gives a measly 5 fleet marks. Up the payout to 50 fleet marks and 1440 dilithium. It's not an instant payout, it gives people the baseline they had before, and it gives the starbase a function instead of it being a resource wormhole and occasional store.