View Single Post
Commander
Hive Onslaught Elite is actually fun if you have the right people. I found it easiest to get the optionals with a couple of sci captains on the team. Until people begin to unlock the passive goodies of the Omega and Romulan reputation systems, you have to fine tune your toon and/or team.

Energy drain is a must for the Queen's ship. It will not only lower the damage of her energy weapons, but it will prevent her shields from healing as quickly. My Kar'fi does a wonderful job of keeping her dry while the team pounds her silly. It also helps to have a cruiser with extend shieds on you, as you draw her aggro and suck her power dry. I use the combination of energy siphon, polaron DHCs and turrets and aceton assimilator. do this and all you really have to worry about are her torp spreads and that shockwave attack.

To maintain the op, as soon as 3 people go down, the remaining 2 must disengage the queen and evade the hell out of there.

I've run 3 perfect op runs with this build here. It was me and a friend and 3 random people. If the team can follow some simple instructions, then it's really not that hard. The more energy drain the better. IMO.

For those interested in the strategy used:

1st part: tac cubes - focus fire on the spheres and then the cube and they go down quickly. then move forward slowly and acquire your next target. make sure you eliminate the spheres as soon as you get in range. if you find that there is too much aggro'd, then back the team up. the spheres will continue to follow. once most of the spheres, if not all, are eliminated, then take the tactical cubes one at a time. you can get away with 2 at a time, but any more than that and it's not as efficient.

2nd part: after all the tac cubes are dead, everyone must skip the cutscene immediately. it is a very nice cutscene and all, but you are just too close to the unimatrix ships. they will wipe you if they're aggro'd before everyone is ready. depending on where you are when you kill the last cube, you focus fire on the unimatrix ship closest to you. with the spam of energy drain and coordinated focus fire, these guys are really very easy... aside from the torp spread that can one shot you. the plasma ball of death should be fired upon by whoever has aoe beams. just keep moving. your defensive rating will thank you. you can hug the top and bottom to maintain your defense bonus. if you're standing still, then youre just asking to explode. after both unimatrix ships are dead, the fun really begins.

last part: the queen's ship is filled with a plethora of attacks and skills. when you first aggro her, make sure someone has a SNB beam handy. I wait until there are four attack skills queued before I nuke her. all 5 members needs to spread out. everyone else should be spread out about 5.5-6 km away from her. pay attention to the buffs that appear under her portrait. it will give you hints as to when you should stay and when you should go. without her shields regenerating quickly, the 1.6m in hp she has goes rather quickly.

In all honesty, the hardest optional to maintain is the second one, where you have to keep 3 players alive at all times. the key i guess is to spread out and always have tac team on. be familiar with the torp spread icon that appears under the portrait to know when to hit brace for impact and be aware of your teammates positions and the giant ball of plasma death. with that said, get into the habit of hitting a key to max your engine power and then hitting evasive. that is, of course, if you care about the optional.

Be sure to see the additional tips posted below. Following these tips will not ensure that you will get all 3/3 optionals, but it will make getting them so much easier. [edited 12/10/12]

Last edited by xsharpex; 12-10-2012 at 11:37 PM.