View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 39
11-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadnax View Post
That is very subjective, though. I've played or attempted to play missions on the UGC list as "the best" missions, and some of them I never completed -- because they didn't live up to the hype or even to the standard dev content.

Others, like Kitty Hawk and A Will and a Barclay, kept me interested. A Will and a Barclay is a pretty good example of intermixing story text and player activity to keep the story flowing.

Some Foundry authors, however, seem to focus too much on the textual side and really drag the flow to a screeching halt. Most MMO players -- including those of us who play primarily for story content -- are not looking to read a novel in game. If the author stops us dead with multiple screens of long, scrolling text to fit in all the backstory you would find *over time* in a good novel, they're going to lose the player.

What constitutes good novel writing does not necessarily translate into good MMO writing. For the game, text and player activity should be well-balanced. Immersion is not just about reading the story, it's about *participating* in it. The characters should be an active part of the story.
Just curious, but you talk about long text of back story, but what about conversations?

As an example, in part two of my series Allegiance, the mission starts with you meeting the senior officers and other characters that will be with you throughout the rest of the series. Now a number of the conversations are entirely optional, as has been suggested to me before, but the main briefing is not. It is long, but it is also interactive with the player to a degree and involves both an introduction to other characters as well as setting the tone for the series. Would you consider a conversation involving multiple characters (sometimes talking to the player, sometimes to other NPCs) an issue?
Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry