View Single Post
Captain
# 323
11-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Selective reading, hoo.

They put him back to the game's "About" page.

Why is the "USA Current Military style of the late 20th early 21st century" the *Only* way people think a military should and could be in a futuristic setting?

This is not just about uniforms, but everything. Ranks, roles, organisation too.

I had a LOT of trouble in my guild, because a lot of people were thinking that Starfleet is simply the contemporary US military 'IN SPACE' , instead of the more UN and NASA like organisation they are.

The Neimoidians reliance on Robotics was another good twist, as themselves were not much of a warrior race, they used their technology and money to purchase droids to fight for them.

The Tau Empire on the other hand has a rigid soldier caste system with its various trials as one advances in the ranks upwards.

So other franchises can come up with interesting new militaries, why would Trek not do the same?

STO offers the less military Feds and the more barbaric Klingons currently, thought the latter do lack content a little.

If we want to play in the modern US military style, there are a LOT, a lot of famous and well done games that do that.
Call of Duty is a good example, and there is the always popular Counter Strike.
But it should not be forcefully dragged into places it does not necessarily belong to, like fictional aliens and civilisations.

I'm pretty sure that Vulcans would put someone in command whose skills are tested to be good for command, no matter his or her age or looks.
Logically they would ignore her dress code, age, looks, tea preferences and everything else in favour of her command skills.
Even bad shooting skills would be dismissed if she shows tactical and strategic competence.
So who cares if she prefers vulcan tea, or green tea? Or if she prefers to wear a robe, or that outfit on the picture? All she needs is tactical aptitude and a good grasp of 3D combat.

Also, she may just have been walking around on the colony, maybe studying those colourful six eyed romulan bunny-pigs.
Epohs don't really need you to wear body armor to tag them, do they?
I also don't see tagging them as a military expedition, more like a scientific or volunteer type of work.

Then as she was wandering the area, a cloaked Hirogen sneaked into the area, and she was caught by surprise. That's why she had that joke of a pistol instead of a proper rifle and armour, see! And it may explain her strange running-bending pose . (This is just a wild theory, of course)

And yes... Star Trek was (And still is) pretty much always aiming for the benevolent liberal style.
Part of that is letting people wear what they want to wear.

Stereotyping women based on a jacket? That... that is not really Federation-friendly at all.
What is happening next, are people going to abuse poor Captain Kirk for his ripped shirts?

I know at least two attractive women who dress just like that vulcan on the artwork, and they respectivly have a degree in Law and Economic studies.
They are loyal and intelligent people, not Kelly Bundy look alikes. (And I think Christina Applegate is quite intelligent too in real life)

Nerd rant over, time to do the economic part.

If I view this from the marketing perspective, its a stroke of genius.

It targets around 95% of the playerbase, and such things can really lend a game advantage.
It appeals to any person of both genders who finds females attractive, and also appeals to females who wants to look like that. So it covers almost everybody.
That's the harsh reality of the situation. It appeals to the majority, and the majority is what businesses need to attract. The needs of the many indeed.
Even PWE must know that.

It may not appeal to really hard core conservative people, but Star Trek is hardly their franchise at all.
To be honest no PR person in their right mind would even expect them to play this game in any large numbers.

Of course, it could be topped by Phaser guy with his shirt ripped or open standing next to her, if only a way could be found to squeeze both of them onto the main page without making both of them look way too small.
That may take a lot of UI working though, so may not be worth doing from a monetary standpoint.