Thread: Epohhs? Why?
View Single Post
Captain
# 23
11-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by connectamabob View Post
Bit of a nitpick, but, targs never showed up in any of the movies. There's a mastiff in ST-VI and a... thing... which might be a warrigal in ST-III. Targs got mentions in passing since TOS, but the first time one was ever actually shown was in TNG.

Back on topic, targ breeding, or at the very least targ combat pets do make sense. They're canon, they're already fielded by Klingon NPC groups encountered as enemies by Fed players, and we've got that targ breeder already conspicuously set up across from the crafting are on Qo'Nos.

In regards to balance, I'd actually prefer that come in a form other than just giving Feds an equivalent pet. Give them a combat ability Klinks can't get, or a craftable weapon class Klinks can't use. Balance things out in a way that creates tactical complexity, not in a ham-fistedly simple force-against-force way.

If you really had to just give Feds some kind of equivalent combat pets, I'd suggest exocomps. That way gives a little bit of tactical trade-off balance (ranged vs. melee), and is more fitting with canon styling than Feds fielding war animals. The combat drones are arguably already similar, but there's a lot you could do with AI, weapons loadout, etc to distinguish them.
I'm fairly sure Captain Krueg's pet in "the Search for Spock" was a targ. Once again, it boils down to lack of development by previous Star Trek writers during and after TOS and beyond. The original Klingons were unexplained in most aspects, never seriously developed as a people with their own drives and interests until TNG. it is also likely the creature on Rurapenthe was another film makers view of a targ. We really don't know and it isn't explained.

I agree, I don't want a pet war either. Fed side is already much more developed so IMO tribbles are enough. Make the KDF targ a combat pet that does the same as the NPC Targ Handler spawns and ban KDF from being able to use or equip all tribbles and I would say it is balanced.
Just say no to ARC