View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan512 View Post
Its not directly connected, if you look you see a line on the phaser lance, its easily explained how there can be connection power modules that detach so the saucer can still seperate. It was never STATED that it could not, even the diamond select models of the galaxy x that i own can seperate and shows where it does on the model. So unless its been stated in tv, its not un-cannon for it to be able to seperate. I get tired of people saying it cant because of the lance, it could probally hold one charge of the lance after seperating its connections.
Back when the devs were planning a Galaxy-X that could separate, they had intentions to modify the phaser lance such that in separation mode, you could still fire it, but with a weaker, 'shotgun-like' effect as opposed to the mega-phaser blast it is capable of in docked mode.

Although the tech was created (and improved upon), to the extent that Chris Fisher was shown a demo on the now-defunct STOked podcast, the reason the Galaxy pack didn't get released was because they couldn't figure out how to charge money to add the separation upgrade for people who already had the Galaxy-X. The Galaxy Pack was thus taken off the release calendar and put on indefinite hold.

I'd link the relevant post, but the information was related back before the forums got destroyed. You'll have to take my word for it.

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 9 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
1000 Paper Cuts for Star Trek Online