View Single Post
Ensign
# 28
11-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
It took 7 weeks for the Jemmie captain to get mk XII M.A.C.O gear. It took 2 days for the Orb Weaver to get his set. How is it right for a better combatant to take longer to get the best stuff?
I would point out that 7 week is still 13 days faster than the absolute minim time required to purchase one mark 12 anything from the reputation store. Add another 40 hours for each additional piece of equipment after that. This translates to about another 10 to 12 days to complete a seven weapons and 3 set items, assuming you pull double time with both of your project slots. Even with the the old random system and terrible luck you were still able to acquire all your gear much faster.

Quote:
How can people say that that is an equitable system? How can people not see that earning the gear is fairer than a random drop, a random drop that may never come for some?
I don't think anyone is claiming the old system is equitable. If they are, then I can certainly agree with you that it is not. It was, however, better, despite its flaws. Players could grind for those rare prototype salvage items, but in the process they'd earn other things that could be used as well. EDC's to trade in for Doffs or dilithium.
The blue quality salvages were common enough, and could also be traded for dilithium, but they could also be traded for mark 11 set gear and weapons, which have always been just ever so slightly inferior to the mark 12's. The mark 12 gear was always intended as an extra little teeny tiny bonus for those who stuck with it long enough, not something everyone should expect to get. Essentially they were vanity items.

Quote:
This new system rewards the best end game gear to those who earn it, not luck upon it. People are more dedicated and more skilled will be able to access their gear first. Why is that unfair? Shouldn't the most dedicated and skilled be rewarded first?
Except that's not how it works. Perhaps you can only play STO for an hour or two every other other day, but a lot of us have more free time than that. Unfortunately these time gates are slowing down a 5-6 hour a day player like myself down to a player who averages an hour a day.
The reputation system does not reflect player skill at all. It only reflects a player's ability to wait for a countdown timer to elapse. This is something literally anyone can do with the exact same proficiency as anyone who has ever lived.

Quote:
Yes, I understand that losing a system that had the potential to give you awesome drops fast in favour of a system that has the potential to give you items at a slower rate may seem tough.
It's not just tough, it's unfair. Do you like that Jem'Hadar Attack Ship you have? Imagine if you were required to earn your right just to have the ability to buy it. Surely this would be done by performing some epic feats of strength and valor in combat, right? No. You just have to submit an order form and wait six months for it to go through. Then you can buy it... after you wait another month for delivery. This waiting period would also require you to regularly touch base with Cryptic, or the process will indefinitely stall. And you have to give up purchasing other ships during the wait period. Does this sound fun? Does this sound like a merit system, awarding more skilled players? No.

Quote:
For the players who never got their sets, this has the potential to be fairer. Still, I think that we need to look beyond our own viewpoints and consider the long term benefits to the game.
Except I'm pretty sure most of the unlucky or new players will quickly discover that this new system, while more "reliable," is still unbearably slow compared to the old way, which would have still reliably granted more gear at a faster rate, and didn't require a 2 month wait to get the good stuff.

Quote:
Oh, and for the record I do NOT consider myself a superior player. I consider myself to be an average player and I feel that players with more skill who dedicate more time to the game deserve to get the best gear before me.
And, as stated many times before, this is not how the new system works. Waiting does not require skill. It requires the ability to travel through time at the rate of one second per second, which is apparently innate to all matter in the universe... barring some special theoretical exceptions, that is.