View Single Post
Starfleet Veteran
# 82
11-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Firstly before I start, I don't post much, but it doesn't mean I haven't been around since launch,

I'm in IT professional by trade so hopefully what I say here might offer help or advice for some, but what you choose to do with it is up to you,

I myself have an Inno3D nVidia GTX 580, 1.5GB of vRAM, fine,

In s7 testing on tribble I noticed an SSaO error on loading every time, (which subsequently transferred to holodeck, there is a thread about in the tribble section), taco personally took my screenshot of it to the graphics department and spoke with them, it's possible it's related (possible!)

Ultimately, I too am experiencing the same black screens, crashing the vid driver and I'm using the latest nvidia driver! Not intel.

The black screens are called "TDR's", basically too much data is being sent to the card and it can't cope within the default (I.e. set in the registry) timeframe, there is a Microsoft technet article proposing a way to change the default time out, for example from 1second to 2seconds, but unless you are extremely proficient with computers and can cope with potential system degradation or dataloss should something go wrong I would NOT recommend doing it.

Interestingly, I noticed yesterday in 'into the hive' ground, after having no less than 3 TDR's in less than twenty mins, that in the queen fight, I got a warning up (because I always have /showfps and /showmem up) that I was running out of VRAM at 800MB which I thought odd, it clearly stated it was culling textures, so I checked in the troubleshooting settings, and my Mem allocation was set to "auto", I promptly changed it to "1024+", almostly immediately everything was fine again, frame rate back to 30+fps,

My thinking then is this, has a calculation "auto" been screwed somehow?