View Single Post
Commander
# 15
11-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I suppose the main point I was attempting to make is that the number of abilities are the problem. There are just so very many and the emphasis is so heavily placed on them. Stacking creates potential "problems" like insane spikes (which I admit, I love performing) and zombies (which wouldn't be so bad if they'd sell us a headshot space console in the z-store).

More abilities are coming.

Between captain skills, boffs skills (not even including voldy for the moment), STF sets, rep passives, fleet stuff, low cooldowns, doffs that reduce cool downs, 9-10 console slots and a significant emphasis on the z-store, the number of abilities available to a single player is crazy. The game has become much more twitchy than strategic. That's part of why people can run long stretches of attacks/buff on a single key. I'm not saying key binding is a bad thing, but it speaks to the importance of hitting as many skills as fast as you can.

Players are hit with so much, so fast, and it's all so very strong that if we continue down this road we'll never find a way to make PvP more balanced or more appealing to a broader audience.

How would having the same amount of abilities, but in a much weaker state, make anything more accessible? In theory, strategy would become more important than stacking (which I suppose is a strategy too). Reaction times would increase exponentially. Yo-yo healing the magic hull could potentially be addressed while instagibbing (as sexy as it is) would be less likely. Not to mention that the amount of stacking you'd have to do for either effect would create significant vulnerabilities for both teams. All of these special consoles you can buy could still be fun without making any particular combination of those and everything else too overwhelming.

And you know, it could make for more appealing game play while also sparking the interest of the canon crowd.

Like I said, it's far from perfect. I don't suppose wide spread support is ever really likely anyway. I can't even begin to imagine the cost of adjusting all of these skills for PvE and PvP. I just think things are getting out of hand and it makes me sad.