View Single Post
Career Officer
# 36
11-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Surely you must understand that when new content is being developed that what the devs say and what is on Tribble is subject to change? Hell, even things that are on Holodeck are subject to change!!

A dev could say that we're going to be able to fly the yellow submarine and that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen. Why? Things are subject to change.

As such, Borticus may have said that you could buy the entire Borg set for 3 Cannibal Tribbles but that doesn't make it gospel fact that it's going to happen.
The term "Subject to change" is just legal mumbo jumbo. Roughly translated it means: "We can do whatever we want to you and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it because you agreed to this".

Just like all the confusing legal terms and everything in terms of service (TOS) and end user licensing agreements (EULA). It is a way for a company to save their own ass if they do something bad, and/or illegal, to the consumer. It prevents the consumer from taking any legal action against them because, well, we agreed to it.

"Well if you don't agree to it then go play something else" one might say, but the fact is most, if not all, corporations do this sort of thing. There have been controversies about companies putting things in their EULAs that state you can't file a class action lawsuit against the company if they do anything bad like overcharge you, increase your fees without telling you first, or other ways to rip you off which would be illegal if they did.

You want a good example of this watch the South Park episode Humancentipad. It pokes fun at people for not reading the EULAs and how a company can legally get away with doing anything they want (like sewing your lips to someone's ****), knowing nobody reads EULAs and there isn't a thing we can do, legally.

"Subject to change" could mean they might decide later to just increase all of the Dilithium costs tremendously. And because of this simple phrase it means they didn't actually promise us the prices would be "as stated" and we "agreed" to this, so we can't do anything like sue them for false advertisement.

P.S. No I don't ever read EULAs myself because, like I stated, I don't understand if they are talking about copyright, hot dogs, or aliens with 3 hooters.

Last edited by monkeybone13; 11-19-2012 at 10:28 PM.