View Single Post
Commander
# 7
11-21-2012, 01:52 AM
I think it's a really good idea. I suspect it'll be a hard sell to the customization crowd and the z store sales team though.

Originally they were only usable by the native ship or specific ship classes (except the BoP which could carry almost all of them). They could go back to that so these things could be balanced more easily for a class of ship.

Similarly, most of the consoles were tied to specific types of console slots rather than being fully universal. This way any player could use an ability they really liked on any ship but it came at a strategic cost.

Any of these changes would greatly improve things because when theses restrictions were removed they really hurt things (for PvP, obviously it was a good move for customization though).

One thing they never did completely was work these things into existing mechanics regarding shared systems and global cool downs. I think the speed burst console did a little with evasive a but that is about the extent. Consoles can be activated as many and as quickly as the UI allows which goes in the face of all other in game balancing restrictions.
The consoles (or many of them) should in my opinion have their own global cool downs and ideally much longer individual cool downs to encourage more strategic use.

One way to compensate players for increasing these cool downs might be to include some moderate passive abilities. The Theta console might add 5 to Engine power and 15 to Particle Gens for example.

There are ways to sell products that are appealing without making them poorly balanced.