View Single Post
Commander
# 43
11-22-2012, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezking View Post
After weeks worth of Elite STF runs, I've come to the OPINION that Torpedo Spread is a rubber crutch.
Pure filler.
It's only saving grace is the ability to hit multiple targets if they include Boarding Parties and High Yield Plasma Torps.

Damage-wise, it's marginally better than a single Torpedo IMO.
The argument of being superior for closely packed targets (like the Borg BoP's charging the Kang on Cure) is just that, an argument.
Sure, you can damage both with TS(3) but not bringing down shield facings (assuming you're the only one firing on them).

Torpedo Spread is good, for non-STF play.
NEVER sacrifice HY for TS unless it's specifically for countering Boarding Party and enemy HY Plasma Torps.
Well it would be foolish to use TS3 without cannon volley. Volley will take shields down and torps do the rest.

If you're talking single target, using photons, and judging the damage based on the numbers given post HY3/TS3 buff, I'm seeing about 11.5k damage for 4x torpedo for spread for one target(up to x3 targets for a total of 12 torps fired). I see 14.5k damage for 4x torpedo for HY3. It's the same story for any torpedo, just different numbers. So while TS3 can deliver upwards of 30k damage overall to three ships in one blast, it's usefulness is slim, Fleet actions and mark "STF"s is about it and even then it better be combined with volleys. It can make quick work of borg STFs but it depends. I try not to use AoE in STFs because I don't want to be Worf. If people are on the same page beforehand it can work wonders for speed killing.