View Single Post
Captain
# 22
11-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Compared to how EA/Bioware are nickle-and-diming its F2P players by trying to get them to buy their user interface piecemeal to play... I'd say Cryptic is being exceedingly generous with its playerbase.

Let's be real here, guys. I'm a F2P player that was a former subscriber; I got the Defiant-R with my Vice Admiral token before they took those away, and I only subbed for maybe two months. I have yet to get a different ship, with no intention of doing so unless they release something similar to the Defiant but better.

I can log into the game and play without being annoyed to death by limited UI features and restricted content. I can fully enjoy the Rep system in the game, and get a slick helmet for my Tactical captain's ground gear.

If I buy something from the C-Store, it's something I can feel good about buying. Uniforms, bridge officers, a new ship, etc. I can enjoy my purchase. I don't have that freedom with many other F2P games.

Say what you will about whether or not you agree with their design choices (even with the changes, I'm still not a huge fan of the reputation system's implementation), but they try to get money from its players by having a game we ultimately like to play, and dangling fun toys in front of us. The game isn't without its problems, but it could be a lot worse.