View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-25-2012, 03:01 AM
As a new player who started playing yesterday I have to agree with the OP. I've found the gameplay more immersive than I expected and so far I quite enjoy the game. Despite somehow being ganked by another player in Earth spacedock while doing the tailor tutorial, which wasn't a good start.

I've played a few MMOs, some of which have gone F2P after a while, or have started off that way. For STO, the first thing that strikes me as odd is the in-game currency which is overly complicated. For some reason there seem to be 4 or more different currencies, which is just confusing for a new player.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a many ways to make energy credits in game to actually buy equipment/consumables. It seems natural to me that ECs should be given as one of the rewards for a mission, as a small passive income generator. The only things I've acquired of any value I've kept for use because I can't afford anything. I'm a lvl 3 lieutenant and still don't have any ECs still.

My overall impression is that the in-game economy is overly biased towards spending real money for in-game equipment, which actually lowers the enjoyment of the game. The one MMO I've played recently that has got the best F2P model is GW2, which is extremely polished (very few bugs, and looks and plays brilliantly - on release). No nickle and diming, as most items for real money are cosmetics only. On top of that you can exchange in-game currency for store currency (gems).

Last edited by genemorph; 11-25-2012 at 03:03 AM.