View Single Post
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
11-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Trying to make sure I completely understand what you're suggesting, so don't take this the wrong way. You're suggesting a Boff ability that turns every weapon on the using ship into a multi-target ability (Beams firing randomly within firing arc, cannons firing within targeting cone of primary target, same for torpedos), while doing extremely diminished damage and generating a large amount of threat per hit?

If so, I think I like the idea, cruisers need more threat in particular. However, my cruisers rarely have more than 2 tactical BOFF powers (Tactical Team 1 and some damage skill, usually FAW, although I've experimented with more tac-heavy layouts for the precise problem we're addressing), and I wouldn't want to sacrifice my actual damage skill for a threat gen skill that deals such low damage. I think maybe 75% of normal damage would be adequate to avoid exploitation as a damage skill, no need to drop so low as 2.5% of normal damage. If you sacrifice too much damage for the threat control, then you'll quickly lose aggro again when the resident Alpha Striker makes another run, not to mention the fact that all the end-game content where this would be important have timers, and high DPS is just as important as the survivability of the team.

Edit: on second thought, I think I'd prefer to see this implemented as something more similar to an Attack Pattern, rather than a weapon ability. While active, the ability increases Threat Control by 100% and increases damage resistance and defense of the user by 15% (kind of throwing in random numbers that seem realistic). No damage increase means no exploitation in PvP (most ships would continue to prefer Attack Pattern Omega for defense boosts and evasion), but at the same time it makes it more viable for use on cruisers and doesn't have to worry about weird weapons like Hargh'Peng Torpedoes that aren't compatible with special torpedo attacks.

Last edited by jbmaverick; 11-27-2012 at 03:51 PM.