View Single Post
Ensign
I wanted to weigh in on the visual effects related to the cutting beam. At this point, I don't want to touch the discussion related to how powerful it is, although I think I was expecting something a little more in line with the beam that decompressed Main Engineering on the Enterprise-D during The Best of Both Worlds in just a few seconds...but that's beside the point.

As it stands right now, the cutting beam effect looks like a special effect out of The Original Series. Now, that's not to knock TOS, for their time those effects on the show's budget were great. But let's face it, it's 2012. I think we can make it look better. While antiproton beams in STO typically look red, if this weapon is inspired by the beam in Q-Who and Best of Both Worlds, I'd expect to see a sharp white beam wielded with scalpel like precision. If not updates to appear more like the effect that inspired it, what about updating it to match the appearance of the old yellow antiproton beam. It would stand apart from any other beam in game (except may phasers), and it would look like something that's delivering a devastating attack.